Where to Begin when Selling your Home
So you’re ready to sell? Maybe the house is too small, large or just not what you want. The problem is not with your home, but it just doesn’t fit your family anymore. Something attracted you to it initially, and that something could be just what another family is looking for. But you need to look at your home new as if you were buying it all over again.
Sprucing up the house will leave a great impression on potential buyers. You need to grab attention and create excitement about finding a house that looks and feels well-cared for. Buyers know they’ll encounter fewer problems if they buy a cared for home, which will make it more appealing and stand out from the rest of the market. Preparing your home correctly will save you time on the market!
Looks are not the only thing that will draw potential buyers, but a good first impression makes an impact on a number of levels. A buyer considers how a home feels and smells, how their friends and family will react and how they imagine it would be to live there.
Simple improvements through your house can grab the attention of potential buyers. We’ll help you show them why your house is right for them.
Preparing your Home for Sale
First impressions make all the difference on a buyer’s decision-making process!
Home Styling or Staging is not about decorating, but turning your home into a model to de-emphasize its flaws and appeal to the broadest range of prospective buyers. When your home is on the market it becomes a product. You need to highlight the positives and make people feel like they could live there. The best way is to “neutralize” the surroundings.
REALTOR® Magazine Online has provided these helpful styling tips in their article “Setting the Stage” comprised of the best kept secrets from real estate pros and stagers for things you can do at little to no expense to put a home in prime showing shape.
- Clear out closets and clutter—sellers can give away or pack up toys, linens, and small kitchen appliances to store offsite. Buyers are also forgiving of storage boxes neatly tucked away in a garage or basement.
- Focus most on the most visible areas—the foyer, kitchen, living room, master bedroom, and family room.
- De-personalize the home by removing photos, mementos, and dated items.
- Use plants in colorful pots or inexpensive wicker baskets to fill in empty spaces.
- Look to home catalogs for little details on beautifying the home. For instance, group books, pictures, and objects d’art appealingly on bookcases.
- Try angling one or two pieces of furniture slightly and move furniture 4 inches to 6 inches from the wall to create more interesting room spaces.
- Put away large collections— porcelains, plates, and so on.
- Remove valuables, prescription medicine, collectibles, and breakables.
- Trim trees, prune shrubs, and make sure the lawn is mowed and watered regularly.
- In summer, turn on the sprinklers for five minutes, 30 minutes before the open house. It makes the lawn and driveway sparkle.
- Refrain from cooking anything that leaves a distinctive odor, such as fish, garlic, or cabbage.
- Hire a professional service to clean the home, including the carpets and the windows.
- Set the dining room table with attractive linens, dishes, and stemware.
- Arrange fresh or silk flowers throughout the home.
- Light a fire in the fireplace in fall and winter.
- A mirror in a pretty frame can make a small room feel more open.
- Use as much natural light as possible. Add extra lamps in dark rooms or corners.
- Make functional repairs—fix dripping faucets, sticking doors, and broken fences.
- Bring in another pair of eyes—even if it’s not a professional stylist. The person may see problems you and have missed.
To talk about your real estate goals, call or email us today!
We were beyond impressed with the quality of their service, their accessibility and their willingness to go above and beyond in ensuring that we did not have any issues during the entire buying process. If you are looking for someone to help you find your dream home, Helen and her team are the absolute best people for the job! Thank you again to the entire team. You helped make our dreams a reality! Thank you again for everything!
Helen came into our house after we had it listed with other brokers for over a year. She was honest, sincere and very direct to the point on what needed to be done to our home sold in this market. Also, I can’t believe the amount of marketing they do. I can honestly say that she really surpassed our expectations of what a realtor should be. Getting sold in this market for 96% of asking in 33 days speaks for itself. We are very grateful we called Helen and thanks to all of you for a job well done…
We rate our overall experience with Helen Oliveri and the Helen Oliveri Team as excellent. The team was especially patient and understanding during a time that was emotionally tense for us. Thanks for your help! Everyone from Helen to all the office people were very prompt in helping us with whatever we needed. Thanks!
Helen has a great business model. She does what she knows best, and her team does what they know best. Communication with the office was great, and we always felt that Helen was just a phone call or email away. I would highly recommend Helen for the selling of your home.
Helen is a marketing genius. I never expected the response I received on my house. She also answered all my questions and made a stressful experience easy. Working with Helen was great and I really felt I was kept informed and given good advice. All I can say is I am glad Helen and her team were the ones selling my house. I have had nothing but good things to say whenever I am asked about my experience. The results speaks for itself.
Helen was professional and knowledgeable in her field. Well prepared for first meeting. Helen was warm & friendly. Always kept me really informed. Her team was knowledgeable, supportive and responded quickly to all requests. The team kept me informed through every step of the process. I would highly recommend Helen and her team. They were knowledgeable, friendly, helpful, easily accessible and supportive throughout the entire process.
We felt that Helen and her team did a terrific job for us. We were very pleased to be able to sell the property so quickly. And appreciate all of Helen’s direction in getting the house staged. Thanks for all your support and help during the selling process.
Responsive, caring…just a great team! Helen was there for us every step of the way. With the market and appraised value, our home was priced accordingly and sold. We put our entire trust in your team and we were impressed with the entire process. The entire team was warm, compassionate to our needs, and always available for us. May the entire team continue to have great success and blessings. Much love, Nick and Irene Makropoulos and family.
Helen is a pleasure to work with. She is very knowledgeable about the current market and gives good and honest advice regarding pricing. She responds to phone calls and email in a very timely way. She has surrounded herself with a great team of professionals and they get the job done! I will recommend her to anyone looking for a great realtor.
Bottom line is she sold our home when I don’t think many others would of as evidence by the other homes for sale in our neighborhood. Bottom line again, Helen and her team are top notch and if your looking to sell or buy I don’t see how you could go wrong choosing her.