Where to Begin when Selling your Home
So you’re ready to sell? Maybe the house is too small, large or just not what you want. The problem is not with your home, but it just doesn’t fit your family anymore. Something attracted you to it initially, and that something could be just what another family is looking for. But you need to look at your home new as if you were buying it all over again.
Sprucing up the house will leave a great impression on potential buyers. You need to grab attention and create excitement about finding a house that looks and feels well-cared for. Buyers know they’ll encounter fewer problems if they buy a cared for home, which will make it more appealing and stand out from the rest of the market. Preparing your home correctly will save you time on the market!
Looks are not the only thing that will draw potential buyers, but a good first impression makes an impact on a number of levels. A buyer considers how a home feels and smells, how their friends and family will react and how they imagine it would be to live there.
Simple improvements through your house can grab the attention of potential buyers. We’ll help you show them why your house is right for them.
Preparing your Home for Sale
First impressions make all the difference on a buyer’s decision-making process!
Home Styling or Staging is not about decorating, but turning your home into a model to de-emphasize its flaws and appeal to the broadest range of prospective buyers. When your home is on the market it becomes a product. You need to highlight the positives and make people feel like they could live there. The best way is to “neutralize” the surroundings.
REALTOR® Magazine Online has provided these helpful styling tips in their article “Setting the Stage” comprised of the best kept secrets from real estate pros and stagers for things you can do at little to no expense to put a home in prime showing shape.
- Clear out closets and clutter—sellers can give away or pack up toys, linens, and small kitchen appliances to store offsite. Buyers are also forgiving of storage boxes neatly tucked away in a garage or basement.
- Focus most on the most visible areas—the foyer, kitchen, living room, master bedroom, and family room.
- De-personalize the home by removing photos, mementos, and dated items.
- Use plants in colorful pots or inexpensive wicker baskets to fill in empty spaces.
- Look to home catalogs for little details on beautifying the home. For instance, group books, pictures, and objects d’art appealingly on bookcases.
- Try angling one or two pieces of furniture slightly and move furniture 4 inches to 6 inches from the wall to create more interesting room spaces.
- Put away large collections— porcelains, plates, and so on.
- Remove valuables, prescription medicine, collectibles, and breakables.
- Trim trees, prune shrubs, and make sure the lawn is mowed and watered regularly.
- In summer, turn on the sprinklers for five minutes, 30 minutes before the open house. It makes the lawn and driveway sparkle.
- Refrain from cooking anything that leaves a distinctive odor, such as fish, garlic, or cabbage.
- Hire a professional service to clean the home, including the carpets and the windows.
- Set the dining room table with attractive linens, dishes, and stemware.
- Arrange fresh or silk flowers throughout the home.
- Light a fire in the fireplace in fall and winter.
- A mirror in a pretty frame can make a small room feel more open.
- Use as much natural light as possible. Add extra lamps in dark rooms or corners.
- Make functional repairs—fix dripping faucets, sticking doors, and broken fences.
- Bring in another pair of eyes—even if it’s not a professional stylist. The person may see problems you and have missed.
To talk about your real estate goals, call or email us today!
We were very pleased to have Helen and her team market our home and find a buyer so quickly in a very difficult sales environment. Our experience was excellent with great follow through and we were sold in two weeks. Working with Helen was excellent, she was very responsive. She and her team are true professionals!
Helen did a very good job. She was professional throughout the entire experience and always available with an immediate response turnaround time. I felt they had great marketing! It was a pleasure working with you Helen! Thank you for all of your assistance during our home purchase and our rental of our townhome.
Helen was very service oriented. We enjoyed working with Helen. Helen did her best to sell the house and did. Helen is the expert in the Hawthorn Woods Country Club and we would recommend her to anybody in the neighborhood to sell their home.
Bottom line is she sold our home when I don’t think many others would of as evidence by the other homes for sale in our neighborhood. Bottom line again, Helen and her team are top notch and if your looking to sell or buy I don’t see how you could go wrong choosing her.
Helen is very personable and gives you the straight answers that are needed in order to sell your house. She has a plan, and follows through with what she says. Her team is made up of wonderful people who are always pleasant and gets the answers to any questions or concerns that I have had. My husband and I are so impressed with Helen and her way of doing business. She listens to her clients, is honest, and addresses all concerns. It has been a pleasure working with her and her team! The word…
Thank you so much for all your help in selling our home. We have had a fantastic experience with you! We are still in shock that you sold our home before the sign was put in the yard!!What a pleasure it has been to receive “play by play” communication. We felt secure & well-informed each step of the way. Thank you, thank you, thank you.
My experience in working with Helen Oliveri was good. She provided very thorough marketing and good advise. It was great on how I was made aware of the process of my home sale. Also, my property was marketed excellently! My overall experience with Helen and her team was excellent. My house was difficult to sell and Helen helped it happen quickly.
Helen was professional and knowledgeable in her field. Well prepared for first meeting. Helen was warm & friendly. Always kept me really informed. Her team was knowledgeable, supportive and responded quickly to all requests. The team kept me informed through every step of the process. I would highly recommend Helen and her team. They were knowledgeable, friendly, helpful, easily accessible and supportive throughout the entire process.
My house had been on the market off and on for over two years with two different agents of one of the big area firms. I finally fired them and hired Helen.So, I was surprised that my house sold so quickly. I had to scramble a bit to find a new place. No problem; Helen’s team found me a great place in a great neighborhood for a great price. I moved out of my old place on a Thursday and into my new place on Friday. Thanks to Helen and her team.
Thank you for your professional and speedy sale of our home in Hawthorn Woods . We tell all are friends to use you when they put their homes in the market. Have a great year.